Fulshear’s First Catch

The team with their trophies.

Leisurely waters, a rocking boat, reels primed and ready to cast, and an old fisherman is what regularly comes to mind whenever someone mentions fishing. The idea of fishing being a highschool sport is unheard of, however, there’s been a buzz right here in the heart of Texas. As the competition in the fishing world encroaches past its older audience, many teens have picked up this lifetime sport. Even with its popularity amongst students, you wouldn’t usually expect a high school to consider this “leisure” activity just as rigorous as their football or basketball team. Against the odds, an official bass fishing team has secured its roots in Fulshear High School.

Fulshears founding team consists of freshmen Henderson Rives and Ace Outhier and their captain Jorge Benitez. A second team was formed with Kash Jenner and his captain, Eric. “I enjoy fishing, and I really think the kids at my school should be able to experience it while competing through the school.” Founding team member, Henderson Rives said.

The team of 3 includes two student anglers and a captain, who is the adult that pilots the boat while on the open waters. Competitions are hosted through Texas High School Bass Association, who “provide a venue where high school students have the opportunity to compete in organized tournaments while establishing strict guidelines and academic standards that will allow student anglers to excel in the classroom and on the lake.” (THSBA).

The team had their first tournament on September 17, on Lake Conroe, in the Bayou City division. Over 160 teams had entered the tournament, and the stakes were high for this newly established duo. However, hard work paid off, and the teams made wonderful achievements. Janner’s team caught 1 keeper at 2.73 lbs, which surpassed most of his competitors’ catches. Henderson and Ace’s team rose to the top, securing their first place title in the tournament. They caught a combined amount of 4 fish, weighing out to 13.96 lbs, with one fish being a whopping 6.42 lbs, landing them in fourth for largest bass overall. “It felt really great to be able to share the joy of our catches, and I believe our hype will carry into our upcoming tournaments.” Said Rives.

It felt really great to be able to share the joy of our catches, and I believe our hype will carry into our upcoming tournaments.

— Henderson Rives

With their win, the team was awarded with a $250 gift card for Academy, and a $2000 scholarship to be split between the boys. This win was unheard of, to even think a first time competitor could crush 166 teams would be a miracle to most. Following this, the bass fishing club was established to recruit teammates, who now can make their own teams to represent Fulshear High School. Their regular season concluded March 11th, with a top 10 finish! The boys also garnered enough points to qualify for regionals on April 15th at Lake Conroe, where the top 45 teams from 3 divisions will compete to move on to State!

• Henderson Rives and Ace Outhier with their 4 fish that were caught.

• 1st Place out of 166 teams in the Bayou City Division.

• The team with their trophies.