The Student News Site of Fulshear High School

Charger Publications

Charger Publications

Charger Publications

LCISD Makes Promise to Parents

District Superintendent shares important updates with parents from across LCISD
Sudais Arowosaye & Maddison Gloria

This past Wednesday, parents were welcomed to the Fort Bend County Epicenter for the “Promise to Parents Brunch,” which was an opportunity for parents, administrators, and staff to see what the future will look like for LCISD. Upon entry, parents were met by student greeters who showed them around the event. This was by design, according to Ram Estrada, LCISD’s Director of Performing & Visual Arts.

“We have students that are coming to show what some of just a little bit of what we do in Lamar CISD. There will be information presented about all the great programs that we have.”

But, the main show that day was Dr. Roosevelt Nivens, and for good reason. Ever since he stepped into the Superintendent role, Dr. Nivens has paved a new path for this school district after Dr. Thomas Randle’s retirement at the end of the 2020 school year. Understandably, many parents are looking for reassurances and promises from the relatively new superintendent.

“(Parents are looking for) transparency, good communication; I would like to see more involvement with the arts and sciences and all around good academics. So basically, all that you can hope for your students,” said Richard Shalifoe, the parent of a student in Grey Elementary.

However, this event was a bit of a mystery for many people, including Ashantia Wolfe, another one of the parents who was invited to the special occasion. “The RSVP didn’t have a lot of information, so I’m like ‘Ok…what? What is this about?’ Is this a way that I can stay involved and informed as a parent? Is this way that I can meet some of the representatives of the district that I haven’t met before?”

These questions were left unanswered up until the moment Dr. Nivens stepped up to the podium. A hush passed through the conference room. You could hear a pin drop as Dr. Nivens began to speak. His tone was calm but stern, and his message was clear. “I want you to understand where we are going, and what the vision is…We have people in the classroom to make sure they (students) are in a safe place mentally, physically, and emotionally, and then we are going to feed them, and get them home,” Dr. Nivens said.

Dr. Nivens addressed some of the most pressing issues facing this school district which include safe/inclusive learning spaces for students, friends and connections, real readiness for post-graduation, noble and fair treatment of others, promoting civic engagement between parents and the school district, and the overflowing of schools across LCISD.

Throughout his speech, Dr. Nivens reassured the audience that he has a plan for the future, and despite the concerns, LCISD has a lot of exciting things happening, which should not be overshadowed. For example, Lamar Consolidated High School set up the school district’s very first mariachi band this year, which will better help represent the growing Latino community. However, it will also give students the ability to better represent their culture, and thus grow closer with their values and family history. “There is one young man in the mariachi band; he and his dad never talked until he joined the (mariachi) band… Most people say it is just a mariachi band, but I see a father and a son connecting,” said Dr. Nivens.

• LCISD 4th Grader shared her story of overcoming anxiety with attendees.

• George Ranch’s Encore Choir serenaded attendees as they entered.

• Charlton Firor, a Fulshear freshmen, interviews Sonya Cole-Hamilton, LCISD’s Director of Communications.

• Lamar CHS’s Mariachi Band entertained event attendees. Student organizations like this band are an important part of the district’s plan to ensure all students can find a way to connect with their campus.

• George Ranch’s Take Five String Quintet performed while attendees ate brunch.

• Randle Royals greet event attendees.

• Parents from all 5 tracks came together to hear Dr. Nivens speak about the successes and hopes of LCISD.

• Lamar CHS’s ROTC program brought in the flags for the pledge.

• LCISD Superintendent, Dr. Roosevelt Nivens, addresses parents at the district’s first annual Promise to Parents Brunch.

That is just one of several amazing developments that parents and students should be aware of. “The purpose of this event is to showcase our students and their amazing talents, highlight important things in our district, and to talk about the challenges we’re facing and how we’re going to overcome them,” said Chief Communications officer Sonya Cole-Hamilton.

All along, the true purpose of this event was to show parents that LCISD has a promise to fulfill, and they are working hard to make it a reality. The “Promise to Parents brunch” revolved around a simple message: No child will be left behind, mistreated, or taken for granted, and every single student in LCISD has the potential to do amazing things.